Thursday, September 17, 2015

September 17


 Thank you for coming to Open House. It was wonderful to see you all.

Students will begin to practice their cursive, grammar, and punctuation skills as we begin our Daily Oral Language.  We will also be working on FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE.   Students will be able to determine the meaning of words and phrases that are used in text such as metaphors and similes. We'll be sharing a few poems with personification including "Backpack". 

Backpack by Irene Latham
I'd say paper
is my favorite feast -
I love it spiraled,
bound or loose-leaf.

Pencils poke,
rulers break.
Textbooks give me
a belly ache.

Whatever you feed me,
I'll do my best;
you're the one
who takes he tests!

The Friday poem, Backpack, will focus on PERSONIFICATION  = giving human traits (feelings and actions) to non-human things..  Student will take a poetry survey where we will discuss their favorite poems and poets etc. 

In reading the students are making entries in their new notebooks.  We are discussing reading stamina. I am requiring 20 minutes of reading each night and I track and recorn books and page numbers Monday through Friday.

Our school read aloud is Alabama Moon by Watt Key

No comments:

Post a Comment